For many people, cleaning is just another chore to check off the to-do list. However, if you’re in charge of maintaining a commercial space, cleaning is anything but ordinary. Not only is a clean space important for appearance, but it’s also crucial for safety and health. Unfortunately, even those with the best intentions can fall into some common cleaning mistakes that can put their staff and customers at risk. In this post, we’ll explore the top 10 cleaning mistakes you need to watch out for if you want to keep your space in tip-top shape.
- Not having a plan: You should never go into a cleaning job without a plan. Without a strategy in place, you’ll waste valuable resources, miss crucial areas, and have an ineffective cleaning experience. To avoid this, create a plan of attack, no matter how small the job may be.
- Improper use of cleaning chemicals: All cleaning chemicals come with instructions, and it’s important to follow them to a tee. Failure to do so can be dangerous, resulting in everything from chemical burns to respiratory problems. Make sure you handle your cleaning chemicals with care and always follow the manufacturer’s instructions before use.
- Neglecting the floors: A sparkling clean space can be undone by a dirty floor. Too often, cleaners forget to dedicate enough time and resources to ensuring the floors are spotless. No matter the type of flooring in your space, be sure to give it the attention it deserves to keep it in top shape.
- Inadequate cleaning frequency: Cleaning frequency is essential for a healthy and safe work environment. If you miss just one cleaning session, dirt and grime can build up quickly, creating a hazardous and unattractive area. Ensure you have a cleaning schedule in place and stick to it religiously.
- Ignoring high-traffic areas: High-traffic areas will inevitably collect more dirt and grime. Often, cleaners overlook these spots, putting both customers and staff in danger. Don’t let this happen in your space; be sure to give these areas the extra attention they need.
- Not properly addressing residue: Residue is a byproduct of many cleaning chemicals and it can be difficult to remove. If left behind, residue can build up and create both a slip hazard and an unappealing look to your space. Make sure you use the proper method to rinse and remove residue after the cleaning process is complete.
- Underestimating the importance of ventilation: Proper ventilation is critical to ensuring whiteblaze a safe and healthy environment. A poorly ventilated or unventilated area can exacerbate respiratory problems and may lead to negative health effects. Be sure to keep your ventilation systems clean and functioning correctly.
- Not cleaning your equipment: Cleaning equipment, such as vacuums or mops, is key to ensuring their effectiveness. When items aren’t clean, they can spread dirt and contaminants around instead of removing them. Be sure to clean your equipment thoroughly before and after use to keep your space safe and healthy.
- Rushing the cleaning process: It’s easy to rush through the cleaning process to save time, but this can lead to many errors and overlooked problem areas. Before you start cleaning, make sure you’ve allotted enough time to do it correctly. Never rush through a job, and always take the time to ensure every area is clean.
- Not partnering with professionals: While you may be capable of cleaning your space on your own, hiring a professional team can save you time, energy, and even money. A reputable commercial cleaning company has the experience, tools, and expertise to do it right the first time.
Conclusion: Cleaning doesn’t have to be a pain if you’re aware of and avoid the common pitfalls. Whether you’re cleaning a small office or a large commercial space, creating a solid plan and sticking to it can save you time and hassle in the long run. By following this guide, you’ll be well on your way to a clean, healthy, and pleasant space that will make you and your team proud. If you need professional help, our team at Pinnacle Building Services is here to help.